Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Day 40 of the 2016 season: Surprise session on a new secluded Lane Road Beach near Pyramid Point

Didn't expect any TOW today as the forecast mentioned only lite lake breezes.
Secluded Beach
After my morning workouts of running and biking I noticed the trees and flags were moving favorable, indicating some wind was occurring.  I ran down to Empire beach to see white caps with WSW swells. I thought hmmm..... this is kitable. I couldn't kite Empire due to the crowded beach.
So I had a plan B. I headed over to Glen Arbor's Bay street launch site only to find the wind direction not good. So plan C went into effect, headed over to a beach off of Port Oneida road. Found it to be uncrowded, maybe secluded. Since it is a hike to get down to the beach most people avoided this beach. I hiked down the 100 steps to find a perfect venue. Ran back up got my 13 Z and headed back down to kite.
Here I have an 85 bluebird degree day, 70 degree plus water with an uncrowded beach. I rigged up and launched, barefooted, shorty wetsuit and helmetless. Awesome session, not quite fully powered all the time but just an awesome session due the location, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore Park, warm water, a hot summer day, a secluded beach. I felt like I was in a secret spot that nobody knows about.




TOW: 2hours from 3:30 - 5:30
Gear:  13 M Z  and TT
Water Conditions:  small chop
Weather: Sunny, 85 degrees
Wind:  WSW is my guess up to 20 mph - side on direction
Highlight: Sometimes its not the high powered session that makes it an epic session.
This was a fun session powered enough to head up wind and carve back. Fun because a lot of pleasant variables happened at the right time to make this session what it was.

Grand Traverse Light wind data

No comments: