Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day 39 of the 2016 season: Hard Luck Pointe Betsie fires up

It was meant to be a day at Frankfort, after waiting for wind I decided to follow the locales to Pt Betsie
Hard Luck Pointe Betsy fires up - I've had more kite trouble at this site. It's a sketchy launch, strong longshore currents, cobblestone rocks, deep water right off the beach, breaking waves right on the beach and beachgoers watching.
All of this added up on this day to possibly end my 2012 11 meter 2013 Z kite era.
I rigged my favorite kite the 11 Z, launched it in the air and headed out. Tried to time the shore break so to make it out safety.  As I put the board on my feet a quick moving  head high breaking wave smashed into me plummeting me. I put the kite quickly down in the water as I was getting rolled and twisted around in the surf. Well the same thing happened to the kite as it tumbled it got plummeted, shredded by the strong current pulling it and the crashing waves that buried it in water, sand and stones.

Maybe it's salvageable

After all the excitement I quickly wrapped up the shredded 11 and quickly rigged the 9 M Z.
I launched it with only a minor incident this time. Finally I got on the water to enjoy some massive easily head plus heights swell on the outside and cleaned up waves on the inside.
It turned out to be a great day carving in between the clean inside waves at the hard luck Point Bestie launch.


TOW: 2.5 hours from 4:00-6:30
Gear:  11M - 9M and TT
Water Conditions:  clean waves on the inside, massive SW swell on the outside
Weather:  Mostly cloudy mid 70s
Wind:  SSW is my guess up to 30 mph - side on direction
Highlight: plummeting my 11M in the impact zone and enjoying a great 9M wave carving session


No comments: