Thursday, June 30, 2016

Day 34 of the 2016 season: A first time session at the famous Tawas Point


A peaceful 2.5.hour session at the Tawas Point slick. After years of trying to get in a kite session at this popular spot it finally came together. I windsurfed here in the 90s but never could make it click for kiting.  Finally it happened, as I was driving to Empire I got the forecast that Tawas might be a possibility this afternoon, thanks Mark of MCK. So I took the 23 exit to the right off of I-75. As I drove up the coast line I could catch glimpses of the water capping.  
Yea, first timer session for me at Tawas Point and it lived up to all the talk. I've heard about this place. Launched at the beach and made an easy upwind run to the slick. Shallow warm water with a small sand spit breaking up the rough open water. A small drag strip  probably 200 yards long but an awesome venue. It does go on downwind for quite a ways but the further down wind you go the less butter you have.
Played for 2.5 hours with endless, carving and monster jumps for me that is. Shared it with one other kiter and Mark of MCK teaching a new kiter.
Reminisced with Jeff Smith GLK's, who I had as an instructor and probably the World's best kite instructor and saw Mark's MCK, student get a first ride.

Desolate, peaceful beach - no crowds today


TOW:  Nonstop session 2:00 - 4:30
Gear: 11M and TT
Water Conditions:  Slicks at the point
Weather:   a cool 70 degrees, sunny
Wind: South up to 22 MPH
Highlight: Monster jumps in the slicks




No comments: