Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day 28 of the 2016 season: Elk Rapids - Not what the forecst predicted.

I thought today would be a good day to try a new venue so I headed to the Elk Rapids city beach.
Nice sandy beach with grassy rigging area, I imagine on a hot summers day you couldn't safely launch a kite here due to the popularity of this beautiful area.
When I got there about 11:30 it felt very windy, I was thinking 9M. Lucky for
me I rigged the 11M and luckier yet I had a 13M to rig. Session saver 13M made the day.
I had the beach all to myself, with 52 degrees, occasional drizzle, and a very drab grey looking sky.
Water was not to bad, temperature wise but the air was cold, luckily I had all the cold weather gear to wear.
Nice sandy beach, grassy rigging area but many rocks just a few inches under the water - scary kiting close to shore. Had some nice organized swell to play on further out. Other then that not to exciting to be out today.








Gear: 11M and 13M Z kites and TT board
TOW: 12:30 - 3:15
Weather: grey clouds and low 50s glad I had my drysuit, hood and gloves
Water:  choppy conditions
Wind: WNW  generally, 15-20 up high, puffy conditions
Highlights: some nice swell to slash up

No comments: