Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 46 of the 1015 season: Harsens early riser - kiteboarding my favorite "the channel slick"


True to the forecast for wind early and then lightning up by 1:00.
Met Keith at Harsens, he was on it at 8:30. I got on the water by 9:30 with the 11M.
Tested the conditions for a few runs and then decided there was enough to head upwind to the slick.
Wind was enough to make it upwind with some work - once there I found the butter smoothness that I craved.  Playing for 45 minutes in the shallow slick, carving some deep carves downwind and then headed back upwind to do it again. About noon I noticed a dip in the wind so I made my way back downwind enjoying the run back. And that was it, came in for a break and the wind died off.
Hung around for awhile until the 16M kiters couldn't kite anymore.
Keith, Tom, Larry, Jerry S., Smitty and Doug Victor were the participants. The early birds caught the best worms today.




Wind data from Mitchell's Bay 4-23
TOW:   Kiteboarded from 9:30- 12:00 one nonstop session
Gear:   11M 140 board
Water Conditions:   Fairly flat - some good ollie jumps heading into the wind.
Weather:  Bluebird 70+ degrees
Wind:  Peaking near 2 from the WNW
Highlight: Kiteboarding in the channel slick butter
Schooled:   toeside to heelside ollies

No comments: