Friday, October 3, 2014

Day 48 of the 2014 season: Metro Beach - Rocking steady






Second Session south winds



It was a rare 2014 Windsurf session at the local watering hole. So windy that I didn't back in my van for fear of loosing my hatch door if opened into the wind. 
It was a warm early October day with a low pressure system and its associated front barreling down the great state of Michigan.
During the morning in the warm sector of the front it was one of the best windsurfing days I have had locally this year. SSE winds to 35 MPH and never a lull for the first 2 sessions.   

Third session SW winds


 
Third Session with the wind slacking off



Keith and I had 2 good sessions both before noon. Started out with a cool looking  reddish/orange tropical looking sky as the sun rose up. Eventually a heavy overcast with some heavy rain took over. But the wind remained rock steady 4.0-4.5 conditions. The 3rd session had the wind switch to southwest and become fluky.
My hands are worn out, I'm so use to kiting that I have the sissy hands of a kiter. Also the next day brought on some pain in the seldom used windsurfing muscles.Windsurfers 6, kiteboards 0, retroed back to the early 2000s with all windsurfers and no kiters.




 
Wind Data 10-3-14
Highlight of the day: Steady winds from 8:30
12:00. Also some of the fastest tracks I ever recorded with an average speed of 17.5 MPH.
TOW:   3 hours
Gear:   4.5 Ezzy with 84 liter JP FSW
Water Conditions: From voodoo chop to some nice rollers for slashing
Weather:     65 degrees, partly sunny, rain to mostly cloudy
Wind:  25-35 mph from SSE-S-SW-WSW
Schooled:   Some fantastic jumping












No comments: