Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Finally got it right

Day 32 of the 2013 season
Lake Leelanau 10/1/2013 Monday

With the forecast looking promising for the past several cycles I planned on hitting a different spot. But after seeing Empire beach in all it's glory I couldn't resist getting in probably the last warm, comfortable session of the season here.
I rigged my 5.0 with what looked like south winds, side shore of 15-20 mph and solid whitecaps.
Launched to lite winds on the inside with large shore break, trying to get through was difficult with the lite wind but I got lucky and made it. Once out I found it way over powering with the 5.0 but played  around a bit and probably scored one of my biggest jumps of the season, hit a wave launched upward and the wind lifted me up higher yet I felt like I was 15 feet above the trough of a wave. Landing the board tail first and almost immediately off on a plane. After that turned around and came in to rig the 4.0.
Ok time to go out through lite inside winds with huge shore break. First try ended in immediate disaster. The first big breaker was at least 5 feet which crushed me and all of my gear. Drifted in way down wind and tried again with the same crushing results by now I'm 100 yards downwind on the beach and launching in these conditions look to be unattainable for me. So I derigged on the spot and walked down to get my car drove my car to my gear and loaded it up and headed to my original spot on Lake Leelanau.
1 hour later I arrived to medium SW winds on Lake Leelanau a long narrow lake which runs north and south in the middle of the county. Looked to be perfect 5.0 so again rigged the 5.0 and headed out to gusty 20-35 mph conditions with nice swell/wind direction. Perfect for riding down the line on some of the nicer organized rollers. I soon realized the 5.0 was to big so came in a rigged the 4.0 and finally got to enjoyed the next 2 hours of riding the waves and winds. Some of the best down the line sailing in a while as the small 2-3 foot waves formed almost perfectly and aligned to the wind direction for almost perfect down the line riding.
After 4 re-rigs finally got it right.
Highlight of the day  - smooth rollers and perfect jibes in between the rollers.


Sail Time:  Empire .5 hour, Lake Leelanau 2 hours,  from 11:00 - 5:30, 2.5 hours of sailing time
Windsurf Gear: Gear that worked 4.0 with 85 liter board
Conditions:  Lake Leelanau nice swell with winds of 25-35 mph.
Weather:  Sunny, near 80, water 70
Wind: SSW to 35 mph
Schooled:  Riding down the line
Pictures: Launch at Bingham township park and GTL wind data,
 

 
 
 

No comments: