Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Kiting Day at "Da local Island"

Day 34 of the 2013 season
Harsens Island 10/16/2013 Wednesday

Thought today would be a good day for kite boarding the flat water of Harsens Island on Big Muscomoot Bay, AKA "The Moot".
With forecasted winds from SW to W at 10-20 it should be a perfect newbie day for kiting.
I Rigged up the 11 meter kite and was on the water by 12:30. Started off with up and down wind speeds so it took some work to get going. Had plenty of good runs mowing the lawn and not losing ground until kite crashed and tumbled wrapping the lines around the kite at least one time. Didn't know what to do so I unhooked and pulled the kite toward me to untangle the lines. Then as I was pulling kite toward me some how it got into a hot launch position and started to hot launch - I grabbed for the bar and quickly realized it was to much power to hold onto so I made a grab for the chicken loop and missed it. The kite and lines were blowing downwind unattached and way out of my reach. All I could do was watch it go, possibly heading to the rocks on shore. Luckily the water wasn't deep so I could walk and paddle toward the shore but I doubt if I could catch the kite before it was to late.
By now the kite was 150 yards away and lucky for me Keith happened to see what happened so he raced downwind with his kite to intercept mine saving it from the rocks. He held on to it until I got there  - THANK YOU KEITH!

Highlight of the day  - Have to admit it was the dramatic save by Keith.
Larry, Harry, Keith, Rick, Chris and the Master kiter Craig all showed up for a sweet day.


Sail Time:  1st session 1.5 hours, 2nd session, 2.0 hours from 12:00-5:00
Gear: Gear that worked 11.00 Z Kite with 140 TT board
Conditions:  Flat, shallow waters with somewhat steady winds
Weather:  Sunny, near 60, water 60
Wind: WSW- W to 20 mph
Schooled:  Learning the kite stuff
Imaged: North Channel crossing on the ferry, some big winds blowing against the current. The general scene at the launch site



No comments: