Saturday, December 31, 2016

Day 82 of the 2016 season: So now I can say I kited on New Year's Eve


The last session of the 2016 season.

Stoked to get on the water after the ice recently blew away and with 3 snowkite session under my belt. Just yesterday I had a Kitewing/ice skate session on the ice at the swamp.
With the temps in the lower 40s, a strong SW wind today and a lot of chatter going on. That got me out to the beach after some noon family activities. It appeared windy enough for my 6.5 kite. So I rigged it and launched at 3. It appears I lost my sea legs pretty quick. First launch I took a dive...a head first underwater dive, instant ice cream headache. Finally I got going for 15-20 minutes of glory before the wind started to die off.
Luckily I was way upwind by then and and it didnt present a problem.
A few strong gusts were good enough to keep me out on the water.
Soon it got to lite for my 6.5 and I had to call it quits.
About 10 kiters showed up sized from my 6.5M to 12M.
Overall it was just a mellow session on the water. The 6.5 worked good in place of my 9M. I'm really liking this little fellow for the upper limit of my 9M winds.
So now I can say I kited on New Year's Eve.



TOW:  (Time on the water) Barely made it from 3:00 - 4:00
Gear:   6.5 M LF with TT board
Water Conditions:  1-3 foot chop   
Weather: 43 air degrees with water being about the same, mostly cloudy by the time I started
Wind: SW to WSW 30 plus at the start dropping within the hour 10-20 from the west
Highlights:  First ever New Years Eve water session

Hardy New Year's Eve crew

No comments: