Friday, November 18, 2016

Day 75 of the 2016 season: Frankfort with Gnarly conditions and a bad call at the end

Not to many days in November that warm up to 65-70 degrees especially in late November. Also my first session at Frankfort this season.
A quickie session due to the gnarly conditions at Frankfort beach.
Several kiters out on 9s to 17s. With 12 being the average size.
Rigged my 11 during a lull and headed out during a puff.
Enjoying the ride on the north side of the harbor, some shoulder high clean swells to play on. Had to avoid the surfers and fight the gustiness of the south winds on the inside but all was good..
Wind data from thr Frankfort Light
Suddenly out of nowhere a heavy rain squall appeared and ramped the winds up to 30-40 mph. Struggled on the wild ride out during the heavy rain squall, but the toeside rides in with excess wind were worth the effort.  Just as the swell kicked up quickly to well over head height the wind lulled. Most kiters struggled in along with myself.
Landing my kite in the rain while others went back out as the wind again ramped up.
I was either going call it quits or rig my 9M. With the rain still falling, did I want to get 2 kites wet and sandy?
So I ended up wrapping up my 11 and calling it quits.  After that I was very disappointed in my call. I missed another 1.5 hours of good 9M or 6.5M conditions - should of, could of but didn't. I watched as the winds looked steady and guys on 8-12s were ripping it up. Not happy with my decision...but oh well live and learn...
 

South entrance light



TOW:   2:45-3:45                          
Gear:  11M Z1 and TT
Water Conditions:    shoulder high to over head high mostly clean
Weather:   65-70 degrees partly cloudy to heavy rain squalls
Wind:  20-40 mph S to SW to S
Highlights: head high clean swells inside - gnarly conditions during a rain squall

No comments: