Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 43 of the 2016 season: First 2016 Empire beach session

I was sitting on the beach with what appeared to be marginal winds when an older lady walked by with a kite bag and board. I talked with her for a minute and got the scoop. Since I was at the beach with the wife and kids I wasn't in a hurry to rig but if she got planning on her 15 Contra well then I would rig my 13 Z.
She rigged, I launched her and she kited, when she looked powered up and got upwind with ease I decided to rig.
So I rigged and launched. Not much of a session, although I got an hour and a half of better than mowing, some nice boosts on the 13M Z. Toeside was hardly possible. Some nice 180 ollies from heelside to toeside, heading in - from the crest of an inside wave I could ollie up landing in the trough of the same wave. Then I was able to toeside carve through the wave face... good feelings....
First time Joyce and the kids have ever seen me kite...they were impressed.


TOW:  3:00 - 4:30, 1.5 hour
Gear:  13M Z kite and TT
Water Conditions:   Mellow - small swell
Weather:   80s and pure sun
Wind:    SW to 20 mph
Highlight: I joined a 60 year old women on a 15M Contra kite. She was the wind dummy and enticed me to rig up.

Northern Lake Michigan buoy data - a tad lighter at Empire Beach

No comments: