Friday, May 22, 2015

Day 37 of the 2015 season: Kiteboarding Harsens - good start bad finish

Water Conditions looked good when I arrived  - so I rigged the 11M and blasted out in full powered conditions. With north winds I tried for the channel slick but as I headed there the wind steadily got lighter. Decided I better head back and stay in the safe zone near the launch. I got back just in time. The wind rapidly died off and the kite eventually lost air and down it came. Luckily I was 100 yards out from the launch - after several attempts to relaunch all unsuccessful.  I just hauled the kite in and derigged it and walked the final 50 yards or so.
It was a spotty forecast but it looked like it had potential. With the bright sun and possibly thermals adding to it I thought it would work. Needless to say not a very exciting outcome.
Later in the day the big kites came out and they were stuck down wind with the lite winds. Even though it was white capping now from the NE. Finally I left around 3 with 1 19M foil downwind and a 17M LE barely mowing the lawn.







I see Caps but not enough even for the big foils.

TOW:   11:30 - 12:30 ( barely an hour)
Gear:   11M and 140 Mako
Water Conditions:   white capping
Weather:    Mid-50s bright sun
Wind:  Moderate NW-NNE to 20 peak at 11:45
Highlight:  Lucky I got within walking distance
Schooled:   Nothing


 
 
 
 

 

No comments: