Friday, November 15, 2013

Surprise Lite Wind Session

Friday 11/15/2013
Day 43 of the 2013 season
Metro Beach Kite session

After missing a kitable Wednesday and Thursday due to a lingering cold/cough and hanging around the house trying to get rid of this energy zapping ill feeling. I had enough of this nothingness and had to get on the water.
Although the wind forecast wasn't promising and Metro Beach was only reporting 8-10 mph SW at 2:00 down from earlier reports. Decided to head out and glad I did. I saw 2 other kiters with 17, 16  meter kites and what I thought was an 11 meter on the water. (turned out the 11 was actually a 17)
So I grab my gear and ran down to the beach, rigged and was on the water by 3:30. Almost perfect wind speed for me it took a few pumps of the kite but then I could park it and ride and relax.
I concentrated on working the edges of the board through the higher puffs instead of letting back on the bar. Rode along the shallow beach shoreline a perfect place for me, flat water and windier.

Pleasantly surprised when I realized I could kite when the Weathertalker was reporting 8-10 mph winds from the SW. And others were on a 16 and 17 meter kites, although they were heavyweights.

Positives: Highlight of the day  - very comfortable almost perfectly powered light wind session
although a quickie session with no major incidents to report.
Negative: Cold hands ended my session early.

Sail Time:  From 3:30 - 4:45
Gear:  11 meter
Conditions: Fairly smooth conditions on shore SSW winds
Weather:  Partly cloudy, comfortable with dry suit/gloves, water 42 air 43. Hands 32 degrees
Wind: 15 at peak
Schooled: Goofy foot ollies, turning the ollies in to slide turns with some deep carving.

 
 

No comments: