Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lexington as planned

Lexington as planned 

Day 19 for the 2013 season  
Lexington, 7-11-2013 Thursday.

This session was a semi-planned event. That is I hope I don't waste gas and time chasing the wind. 
The forecast looked marginally for wind, but throw in the late afternoon anomaly that we often see here.
Left home at 1:30 rigged and on the water at 3:30 with 6.0 and 100 liter board. Wasn't sure what to rig with the Big Man Harry on a 7.5 and semi-slogging.  6.0 is the biggest sail I have so that narrowed the choices down.
At first it was lite but riding the swell could get you going enough to make it worthwhile.
Gradually the anomaly kicked in and by 4:00 it was well powered 6.0 conditions. I was able to head back up wind and gain some ground that I lost during the lighter stuff.
I made a heading to the north side of the jetty due to a wind shadow on the south side. The 6.0 on the 100 liter board was working perfectly, winds were estimated in the 15-20 MPH  range.
Sailed until 6:00 when wind got lighter, I made it a down winder from the north side of the harbor and called it a day.
My 3rd time at Lexington so far this summer I believe that is a record for me in a single season. I really enjoy this launch, clean water, no weeds and nice swell, water is warmed and crowds are non-existent.
Harry 6.5 - 7.5, Millard 6.0,  Craig and Eddie kited.

Sail Time: 2.5 hours from 3:30-6:00
Gear: 6.0 with 100 liter board
Conditions: Small but organized swell, mellow winds
Weather:   Sunny, Air 60s water 60s.
Wind: N- NE to 15-20 mph

Schooled: Wave riding
Image: Port Sanilac data,

No comments: