Friday, October 14, 2011

Had to be patient for this session


Friday 10/14/2011, Metro Beach

Had to work very hard and be patient to get this session in. Many lulls of 0 wind with many 30+ blasts thrown in.
Forecast was on as winds from the west were gusty. Big crowd at the time I arrived with sail sizes 4.0 to 5.5.
I rigged my 5.0 Ezzy and since the wind was very fluky I took out the 101 RRD for the flotation in the lulls.
First quick runs out, the wind was way overpowering for my 5.0 so after about an hour of that I came in to rig the 4.5. Just as I did that of course the wind came back down so I stuck it out with the 5.0 and 101 liter until sunset. At times way overpowered and uncontrollable and other times barely a breeze.
MB is my my favorite venue for ducking the jibe. Two fully planning duck jibes on the inside flat water. Had to hit it just right, no weeds on the fin, wind just right and water nice and smooth.

A good productive happy hour thanks to Craig and John and then derigging in the dark, hoping nothing was left behind.

Session: 3:30 - Sunset
Gear: 5.0 Ezzy Free wave, 101 liter RRD
Conditions: Gusty, Inside flat, outside confuse swell 50% of the time.
Weather: Air 55 degrees, partly sunny, water 60 degrees.
Wind: WSW-WNW between 0-30 mph estimated
Schooled: Practice on the downwind 360s batting .333 with them. Pulled off all of my repertoire of lite wind moves during the many lulls.
Moves of day: 2 overpowered duck jibes resulting in tremendous splashdowns when the sail was yank from my control just at the right moment.
Image: Derigging after hours

No comments: