Saturday, October 1, 2011

It actually happened on the weekend Part I





Saturday 10/1/2011, Blue Lagoon

It's been over 2 weeks since I've been out sailing. A nice sweet start in September but it ended mid-way through the month. September is normally the best month of the season for wind.
October started out like September, blockbuster almost epic day at the Lagoon with the steadiest 4.0 conditions I have ever had at the Lagoon. Some voodoo chop with the slightly on-shore conditions but also to be found were some great little meaty swells for carving up.
Rigging was consistent for the 12-15 windsurfers 3.5s to 4.5s sail sizes.
At 1:00 I rigged my 4.0 with my 84 liter JP, I got to use my favorite wave fin due to the weeds "not a problem" day.
Suited up with the O’neill "Boost" drysuit, I love this drysuit. Several head first plants and barely a drop trickled in through the neck seal.
On the first session I was on the verge of overpowerness but then I got dialed in I felt comfortable being overpowered. Making regular jibes without a problem. Normally I do the 3 stage duck jibe but today I stuck with mostly the 12 stage normal jibes.
Second session same gear with what felt like gustier conditions but nothing to keep me off a plane.
Both sessions had non-stop action from locating tiny swell to slash and bash to heading out with a slight wind direction change to hit the chop head on resulting in some decent hops.
Session: 1:30 - 5:00
Gear: 4.0 Ezzy SE, 84 liter JP
Conditions: Inside some organized swells, outside almost the same with occasional confused swell.
Weather: Air 50-55 degrees, nearly bluebird, water 60 degrees.
Wind: N-NNE up to 38 mph estimate
Schooled: Normal jibes slashing and bashing small thick swells.
Images: The gear of the day - where else can you park and rig on grass 30 feet from the launch. Larry heading to the outside. Lac St Clair Buoy.

No comments: