Thursday, July 28, 2011

The LSC Anomaly













Tuesday, 7/26/2011, Blue Lagoon.

After local optimistic on site reports I loaded the van with 2 boards, 85 and the 100 liter, 3 sails a 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0. Local on site reports mentioning the 5.0 word.

I was a little bit more optimistic compared to the last few sessions .

Arrived on site at 3 and saw a few puffs and everyone warned me that it is dying off. Rigged the 6.0 anyway and went out by 4:30 on the 100 RRD. An easy slog with a lot of light wind maneuvers, heli-tacks, pushtacks, nose sink tacks, upwind 360s and sail\body 360s and clew first sail\body 180 to backwind side with a back wind jibe returning to normal tack.

Around 6 gave it up due to almost zero wind. Waited around and got sucked out a few times when some puffs would come by only to die off in a few minutes.



Time for happy hour, Craig was already well into it so he offered me a beer and I started happy hour. Derigged and put all the gear back in the van. As I was putting the gear away the wind picked but after being suckered out a few times already I wasn't going to fall for this.

Three minutes later I was pulling my gear back out and rigging the just derigged 6.0.

Got back on the water at 8 and sailed marginal winds to sunset.


Session: Officially 8:00-9:15 PM.



Gear: 6.0 Ezzy Panther, 101 RRD FSW boards.



Conditions: On shore NE winds brought confused choppy conditions.



Weather: 80 degrees sunny, water, 75 degrees.



Wind: Estimated to peak of 25 on-shore NNE.



Schooled: 1 for 19 on the downwind 360s.

No comments: