Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Day 80 of the 2017 season: Near gale warnings for our local launch.


A good day to try out my latest kite, a 7 meter Naish Pivot.
I arrived at the launch with mainly WSW winds which tend to make it a fluky launch. Keith, Craig and Mark rigging 9M and doing well on them. I felt I could rig my new 7 Naish and test it in the 20-30 mph winds.
Once rigged it was a little light to launch, it slid it along the launch site ground before finally getting it in the air, thanks to Mark.  As I walked out to the water to get going a lull hit and the kite dropped to the water within inches of the rocks, thanks to Keith for assisting me in saving the kite from the a rocky end. I finally gave up on launching at this spot. Gathered all of my gear and headed to the beach where I had an easy successful launch of my 9M and then my 7M.



TOB: 12:45-3:00
Gear: 9M Z kite and new/used 2016 Naish 7 Pivot
Water conditions:  some disorganization of the swell and some nice 2-4 foot swells to play on
Wind: 20-40 mph from the WSW
Weather: some sun 45 down to 41 degrees
Highlights: typical gusty conditions with this wind direction and wind speed.
Tried out my latest 2016 Naish 7M pivot kite. With the gusty conditions, sometimes underpowered and rarely fully powered, it was a tough test.
I tested the kite with the wider bar and long lines.
Found it to have very lite bar pressure, it's a quick moving 7 meter kite, sometimes it's hard to feel where the kite is because of the lite bar pressure. Although if the kite isn't where you want it to be it can be moved in a millisecond with a slight pull on the bar, very forgiving for that reason. Jumping/ boosting felt different, not sure if it was the swell verses the wind direction or too squirrely of a kite. Something that I'll have to adjust to. It jumped good on my opposite side where the swell and wind direction were nearly perfect for olling.




No comments: