Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 37 of the 2014 season: Another Tuesday: This time the hike to Petobego Bay was worthwhile


Rainy, cold, ugly, and to windy for me at my favorite spot, Empire Beach. Seems like anywhere I checked on the big lake was to much for me with the swell  crashing right on the beach and very strong longshore currents. Actually with the high water there wasn't much beach to speak of. 
Time to head over to East Bay.  Launched at the exit of the Petobago trail and worked my way up wind to the lagoon. There I found the lagoon was overwashed by the waves and high water. I actually rode over the sandbar which was a foot under water - normally its a foot above the water.
Kited for 2 hours with 3 others when wind got fluky so I made a quick downwind run to the launch to call it a day



Parking, hiking, launch, and ride.



Gear for the day - 9M and Mako 







TOW:  1:30-3:30
Gear:   9M kite and 140 Mako Board
Conditions: some smooth swell to be found and flat water in the lee of the sandbar
Weather:  Raining, mid-50s, fall conditions  
Wind:  NW to 30
Schooled:   Nice ollies to toeside on a swell and then riding down the swell carving deep to other tack.
Highlight of the day:  Rode upwind to the lagoon expecting flat water inside only to find out the sandbar was overwashed by the waves and the lagoon was part of the big bay. In doing so discovered more nice smooth swell just west of he lagoon.


No comments: