Monday, December 14, 2015

Day 93 of the 2015 season: Crazy El Niño - Day 4, December keeps on rolling: 9M crazy kite day at Metro Beach

I was getting to confident in my kiting abilities until today when 35 mph+ gusts made me realize that this could be a dangerous sport.
Spent an hour from 2:30-3:30 on the 9 meter kite in extreme conditions for my abilities. Just trying to stay out of serious trouble and ready to pull the quick release if needed. Finally a lull and I headed in with Mark holding me down...woohoo I survived!
Took a break and waited it out until things got sane. Craig was out on his 9 and was doing good.
I went back out and enjoyed gusty, lofty conditions practically fully depowered but at least in full control for this final session of the day.
Up to 12 kiters in this late season jamboree.

Gear:  9M Z Kite and TT 140 Mako board
TOW:  2:30 - 3:00 and 4:00 - 5:15
Water Conditions:   Wind driven waves 2-5 footers
Weather:  Cloudy with rain/wind squalls, 50 degrees plus
Wind:  SW heavy winds up to 35 plus - way overpowered at times on my 9
Highlights:  Another El Niño December day

No comments: