Friday, December 11, 2015

Day 92 of the 2015 season: El Niño day 3 in December - Early morning session at Metrobeach

Another el Niño December day - 50 plus degrees at 9 o'clock, bright sunny skies and a SW wind howling sometimes above my 11M limit.
Confirmed that I could go up wind and then headed to the beach area to play in the shallow wavy area,  epic fun carving my favorite low aspect Z kite with the mako 140. 
Did this for an hour plus, when the winds became fluky I started heading back up wind and then played in the bowl area for awhile. Until several massive west wind gusts almost blew me off the water. Time to head in and it was a good judgement call for me as winds really got fluky on the inside launch area after that.
Others went out after that with some success on the outside but on the inside it was a lost cause with kites dropping and kiters walking in.

Gear:  11M Z Kite and TT 140 Mako board
TOW:  9:30 - 11:00
Water Conditions:   White capping with 2-3 footers
Weather:  Sunny, 50 degrees plus
Wind:  SW heavy winds up to 30 plus - way overpowered at times on my 11
Highlights:  I love the Z kite

No comments: